♔ babogongjuu

⚡ hyokii. 23


fb twitter tumblr instagram pinterest Follow on Bloglovin

+ Follow Home Profile Tags Bucket List Tagboard

Theme by Hanie.


Kat Von D Spellbinding Eyeshadow Book Review
Wednesday 25 February 2015 | 0 comments
Heya cuties,

So I'm finally writing a review on the Kat Von D Spellbinding Eyeshadow Book!  Spoiler alert, let me just say this now, I am in love with this.

I adore Kat Von D a lot.  As an artist and just a rad girl all around, she's one of the people that I idolize and sometimes I look at her and I think to myself, 'damn I wish I was her'.  My cousin went to her shop to get a tattoo and met Kat and said that Kat is one of the nicest and most humble people she has ever met.  I really appreciate that about her.  Her being an art-based person really gives me a deeper connection because I'm also an art-based person so I know whatever she comes out with is really artsy. 



So let's talk about packaging because you can't mention Kat Von D and not talk about packaging.  One thing that I love about this pallet is that the illustrations and designs for her products are all personally drawn by her.  The drawing on the front of the pallet alone is just so beautiful, isn't it?  Her style is definitely right up my ally.  This is the front of the box it comes in, but the pallet is the exact same thing but with a black boarder.  The back (on the box), features all the colours in a grid.


What's different about the pack on the actual pallet is that this has a "chart" that shows colour combinations you could do.  I think one of the main points of these shadows are that you could mix two shadows together and it'll form a completely different shade. 

How to use: Each set of shades are paired together to create perfect layered looks.  Apply "Geek" on lids, then blend "Fallen" on top for a bronzed peach shadow.  For a completely different look, apply "Fallen" on the lids, then blend "Geek" on top for a perfect golden shadow.



This is what it looks like when you first open it up.  There are three diagrams of three different looks you can try out.  There's also a clear film over the top of the shadows with their names printed on top.  I find that this is a little bit annoying to hold back when you're trying to use the shadows, but I guess it is helpful for not getting shadow all over the top of the lid.


Here's an overview of all the names.  The ones with a star next to the names are "never before seen" shades.  As you can see, there are quite a few of this some it makes getting this pallet really worth it since there wouldn't be too many repeats of other shadows you might already have. 

At first glance, my favourite shades were Oddfellow (black with teal glitter), Queen (a redish brown-green duo chrome), Wonderland (dark plum with pink glitter), and WTF (bright red with purple-ish undertone).  After using this pallet for a while, the colour that I grew to love was Smile Now because it looks like an orange-peach colour but when applied on the lids, it actually has a pink duo-chrome action going on.  I really like this as an inner corner highlight because when the light hits it in an angle, it's pink.


This is definitely a pretty colourful pallet, but I think it's very good for someone who is just starting to use brighter colours, like I am.  I'm not all for the full-on-bright-colours-all-over-the-eyes but I like a hint of colour here and there or different tones of neutral-ish colours.  For example, sometimes I use a red-ish shade like Stupid Audocorrect in my crease as a transition shade instead of a standard taupe or brown.  Or sometimes I use a combination of the greener shades like Gunner and Hexagram with a golden shade to highlight like Sunset Blvd or PreciousHexagram is an olive-green type shade that is a little more neutral than a straight up green so it's easy to work with without making your eyes look like a rainbow of colours, while Gunner is a very saturated green to give it that pop of colour.  The one shade I haven't really used is Bukowski, which is that one bright blue on the bottom, only because I really don't rock blue very well without looking like a hooker.  I have one other bright blue shadow in my collection and I don't even use that one either so I don't know how I'm going to use this one.

The texture of these shadows are super buttery smooth.  Just swatching them with my fingertips felt like a dream because they were just so soft.  The pigmentation is excellent, but I would use an eyeshadow primer under them just so the colours are as pigmented as they can be and to ensure they last all day and don't crease.  In terms of fallout, the darker colours, especially the ones with glitter, tend to have a bit of fallout.  It's not a crazy amount, but I'm assuming you tap off the extra on your brush before applying like you should be doing.  Speaking of tapping off the excess, when you do so, you'll see that a ton of it comes off of the brush.  I think due to how soft and finely milled these shadows seem to be, this translates to a lot of potential fallout.  Having said that, I would imagine that this means you will use up these shadows pretty quickly if half of it is fall out that you can't press back into the shadow.  That's just loose powder being blown everywhere!  That's something you should keep in mind.

Another thing I want to mention is that the golden shades, Precious and Sunset Blvd (especially Precious), seem a bit powdery.  It's almost hard to get them on the lid without packing them on a ton.

The thing that I love most like I've mention before is that a lot of these shadows seem to be duo-chrome (which I've always love love LOVED) and what makes them so special is that you can layer them to get a different shade!  Now, I'm not talking about like mixing a blue and a green will give you an orange (that's not even possible to begin with), but something like Birdcage and Gunner layered on top of each other makes a grassy-lime green.  This also means that blending these colours into each other is a breeze because the overlap will be an automatic transition colour!  Honestly, I think this is really what makes this pallet so unique. 

I got this eyeshadow book as a birthday present this year but I know Sephora sold it for around $55 or so.  I'm not sure if they still sell it now because I don't see it on the Sephora website anymore but if you really want to pick this up, try walking into the store to see if it's there and if not, maybe eBay will be your next best bet.

Rating: ★★★★☆  4/5

I really want to give this a perfect score but as reviewed, there are some cons to this pallet so I cannot give it 5/5.  Although I has quickly became one of my favourites, next to the Naked 2 pallet.  This is my first ever Kat Von D cosmetic item and it has definitely given me an excellent impression on the quality of her products.  I'm curious and excited to try out a few of her items in the future!

Labels: , , , ,

NEWER
PAST