♔ babogongjuu

⚡ hyokii. 23


fb twitter tumblr instagram pinterest Follow on Bloglovin

+ Follow Home Profile Tags Bucket List Tagboard

Theme by Hanie.


Current Skincare Routine 2017
Monday 10 April 2017 | 0 comments


Hey there

It's been a hot minute since I've last updated this blog.  In the past year, I've graduated university and worked two different jobs...  I guess life just got busy and thus causing me to shove this blog somewhere in the depths of my mind.  Am I back?  I can't promise anything but I've been meaning to share my skincare routine for the longest time so I sat down today to do just that.

I think mid-year last year was when I really amped up my whole skincare routine.  Kbeauty started getting bigger and I started learning more and more about different skincare ingredients.  I'm not a pro at skincare, but I've landed on a mix of asian and western skincare that has been really working for me lately.

So to start off, I've had dry dehydrated skin all my life.  Growing up, I only used Johnsons' baby cream as a face moisturizer.  I know.  I felt that it was enough to keep my skin from having that tight feeling after washing and thought that was good enough.  As I grew older and started learning more about my skin, I realized I had to do much more than that.

I like the concept of layering several products on my face and quite enjoying having multiple steps in my routine, which is why I love asian skincare so much.  I'd say right now, I have an alright amount of steps, as I don't currently have any essences or serums in my routine- just the "basics".  So, I'll take you step by step on what my current skincare routine looks like.

1. Double cleansing
In my opinion, double cleansing is absolutely essential in a skincare routine if you wear makeup like I do.  I believe in order to get a proper and complete clean, you need an oil based emulsifier paired with a foam/gel cleanser to really get everything off your face.  I do this and use a silicon face scrubbing pad to really get a deep clean.

My current choices are Banila Co. Clean It Zero and The Face Shop Mango Seed Cleansing Foam.  I was also using The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Rich Cleansing Oil as a backup when I ran out of Clean It Zero.

I'm aware that Clean It Zero has broken some people out, but it works really well for me and leaves my skin feeling soft after.  I'm also aware that the Mango Seed cleanser has a super high PH level which most people would highly recommend against, however I've been using it for quite a long time and I don't find it drying or giving me that tight feeling after I wash my face.  I've sampled some low PH cleansers which have left my skin feeling super stripped and dry...  I'm not against finding a low PH cleanser but I just haven't found one that I like yet. 

2. Toner
I alternate between two toners that are quite popular: Hadalabo Gojujyun Hyaluronic Acid Lotion and Pixi Glow Tonic.  My friend recommended me the Hadalabo toner as hyaluronic acid is great for dry skin.  I pour one or two drops onto my palms and pat it into my skin.  If I'm being honest, I'm still not sure how I feel about this.  I've gone without it for some days and haven't noticed much of a difference.  I'm almost done this bottle so next I'm hoping to find a toner to balance my PH levels after cleansing.

During the day, I'll use the hyaluronic acid toner, and during the evening I use Pixi's Glow Tonic.  I picked this up on a whim just to try because of the hype and was interested in the exfoliation factor.  I will say that my skin felt instantly smoother after one use, but I didn't notice my skin "glowing" and I absolutely hate the scent (old grandma perfume, yuck!).  It contains 5% glycolic acid which I've heard is actually kinda low so I won't expect super high exfoliation.  Would I repurchase?  If I'm being honest, the pros are not high enough for me to get over the awful scent so while I'll finish up this bottle, I'm still on the hunt for my HG toner.

3. Exfoliation 
If I'm looking to do an actual exfoliation, I'll use my Cure Natural Aqua Gel before I cleanse on no-makeup days/mornings after I wake up.  I've heard mix reviews about this product now that the hype has slowly died down- some say it's the best, other say it actually doesn't exfoliate but rather the formula tricks you into thinking the beads are your dead skin when it's actually not.  I don't remember the exact explanation but some have said it creates a layer/film on your skin to trick you into thinking it's smooth and exfoliated when in reality, beads start forming even when you test it on metal with rubber gloves.  I haven't tried this experiment myself yet so I can't speak on that but in terms of how I like this product, I do like it when I'm experiencing flakiness on my skin (especially my nose).

As a daily night routine, I apply Herbivore Moon Fruit Superfruit Night Treatment and really rub that into my skin.  From my understanding, this is basically an AHA cream that works to exfoliate by resurfacing dead skin cells and promotes regeneration. It uses fruit enzymes, butters and hyaluronic acid.  Their description of the product is a little vague for me but I've come to understand that it's an AHA product.  Their instructions say to apply this after toner but before all your other skincare products (serums, creams, oils) for best results and advises you to use high SPF if you use this product lightly during the daytime.  AHAs and BHAs will make your skin sensitive to sunlight so this advice is super important to follow.  This is a pricey product but I've come to really love it and seen big results with it.  If I ever feel that I have heavy texture going on my skin (I tend to get closed comedones/whiteheads, between my brows), I apply this and it goes away almost instantly over night.

4. Eye cream
I've been using Belif's Moisturizing and Firming Eye Cream for over a year now and I really like it.  I saw some reviews on this product on Youtube and decided to try it out.  I've got to say, it actually does reduce some of my fine lines around my eyes.  This is why I've repurchased this once already.

5. Moisturizers 
I use not one, but two moisturizers on any given day or night.  Currently I am using Belif's Aqua Bomb first, as it's a gel and thinner so it can be absorbed into my skin easily, and then I layer The Face Shop's Mango Seed Silk Moisturizing Lotion after.  I love the Mango Seed lotion and I've repurchased several times already.

I bought the Aqua Bomb cream due to the hype but I really felt like it doesn't do much for my dehydrated skin.  The gel formula is just too light for what I need and I love heavy thick creams, especially for night time.  I'm currently using this only to finish it up.

One that I do love is Innisfree's Orchid Intense Cream.  While it similar to a thicker gel consistency, it's heavy enough that it provides the intense hydration my skin needs.  Typically I'll use this after the Mango Seed lotion as my final step, however I'm all out of this cream and waiting for a new one in the mail.

6. Mask
I'm really lacking in my mask department.  I don't do this every night- actually I don't do this enough during the week.  I just havent found the time and product that I love deeply enough to do it regularly (aka 2-3 times a week).  Currently, I have a jar of L'Oreal Pure Clay mask and while I like putting it on my face, I don't find it does too much for my skin, which is why I'm just trying to use it up and move onto something better.  I'm looking into getting back to using sheet masks as those provide a boost of moisture to my face if anything, but I've been slacking in terms of purchasing those.  This is one area that I need to improve on.

7. SPF
Not pictured here, but I was using Biore's UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel as my sunscreen.  I have a bad habit of not using SPF during the winter months but now that spring and summer is here, I really need to get back into the game.  SPF is super, super, SUPER important, especially in the warmer seasons when the sun is at its peak.  Having SPF in your makeup is just not enough in the summer time (although I somehow convinced myself it's enough for the winter... it's not).  So while I liked the gel version, I think I'm going back to the "milk" version.

So that's pretty much it.  I know it's quite a lengthy post but I wanted to include all the details that I felt was important to mention as skincare is a lot more finicky than makeup.  I take skincare a lot more serious as it has what treats your base, your skin!  While you can cake on as much makeup as you want during the day, it's always important to take care of what's under.  Prevention is key and finding the right products and ingredients is a bit of a journey but I quite enjoy it.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

NEWER
PAST